About the Course
Who It’s For:
Consumers and professionals in the drinks and hospitality industries who have a serious interest in spirits and want to expand their knowledge beyond the basics. No previous study required.
What You’ll Learn:
The history, production and style of spirits of the world: brandies, whiskeys, vodkas, rums, Tequilas, gin, liqueurs and other flavored spirits. You’ll learn the proper technique for tasting spirits and practice with six spirit samples each class session.
16 hours of class time and a one-hour exam that includes 50 multiple-choice questions.
What You'll Achieve
- The ability to describe the characteristics of the principal spirits and liqueurs.
- Knowledge of the major international brands within each spirits category.
- The skills to provide guidance on the use and service of spirits and liqueurs.
- The ability to make informed recommendations to customers to meet their taste, quality and price requirements when selecting spirits and liqueurs.
- Successful candidates receive the WSET® Level 2 Award in Spirits.
At least 21 years of age
High School, College, or Post-Graduate diploma or transcript;
Letter of reference from a wine or spirits trade professional on company letterhead stating:
- That the prospective student is known to him/her personally,
- That he/she is aware of the student’s knowledge of and interest in wine; and
- That he/she believes the student is qualified to pursue structured study of wine and spirits.
About the Exam
Exam Format: One-hour exam that includes 50 multiple-choice questions
Study pack contents:
- Textbook: Spirits – Looking Behind the Label
- Student Workbook
- Laminated SAT Card
How Much Does It Cost?
Registration Fee: $52.00
Study Kit: $92.54
Discounted fees are available to Teaching Assistants. These positions are limited in number and are granted at the discretion of the International Wine Center.
How Do I Sign Up?
- Choose a class date that works for you. You can View Dates by clicking the button to the right, or browse available dates and times by going to the Registration section.
- After choosing the date that’s best for you, complete the required Enrollment Agreement, to streamline your registration process.
- Click the Register button. (If you have not yet completed the Enrollment Agreement, you can complete it during the registration process.)