About the Course
This foundational course is ideal for anyone who wishes to obtain a sound introduction to spirits. It will appeal to wine lovers who wish to extend their knowledge into the realm of spirits, as well as people who work with spirits as part of a larger beverage portfolio in the retail and hospitality sectors. No previous spirits knowledge is required.
What You’ll Learn:
The main styles and categories of spirits, the defining characteristics of the main spirits types, the production processes and vessels used in making spirits, and the key principles involved in the storage and service of spirits — as well as a standardized method for tasting spirits.
Online. A 4-week, 6-module online program with a recommendation of 1.3 hours of online activities and textbook study per week. You may access the content — including discussions, instructor chats, and feedback — 24/7, as often as you wish during each week, and can catch up on activities as your schedule permits. You’ll study under the guidance of one of International Wine Center’s experienced instructors, who is at your disposal for the duration of the course. You’re advised to taste various spirits during your studies, from a list of recommended tasting samples, and you can post your tasting notes in the Online Classroom for review by the instructor.
Regular access and participation in the course online activities is essential.
Your exam will take place via secure remote online proctoring on a specific day and time. You need to take your exam in a private environment of your choice using a desktop or laptop computer AND your cell phone.
Students will require access to a computer (recommended) and/or smartphone or tablet with one of these browsers:
- Chrome 80 and 81
- Firefox 74 and 75 (Extended releasesare not supported*)
- Edge 80 and 81
- Respondus Lockdown Browser (supporting the latest system requirements)
- Safari 12 and 13 (Macintosh only)
What You'll Achieve
- The ability to select and serve spirits with confidence.
- The ability to taste and describe various types of spirits.
- Knowledge about the main categories and types of spirits available, including brandy, vodka, whiskey, rum, tequila and flavored spirits.
- Knowledge of common cocktail ingredients, equipment and glassware.
- An understanding of quality factors for cocktails.
- An understanding of issues relating to the safe consumption of spirits.
- Successful candidates receive the WSET® Level 1 Award in Spirits.
* This course is a non-occupational course. Non-occupational courses are not intended to provide instruction that will result in the student’s acquisition of occupational skills.
- minimum 21 years of age
About the Exam
45 minute exam consisting of 30 multiple choice questions. Your exam will take place via secure remote online proctoring on a specific day and time. You need to take your exam in a private environment of your choice using a desktop or laptop computer AND your cell phone. Further details are available here.
You may reschedule your exam date with three week’s notice to firstname.lastname@example.org. You may schedule an in-person paper exam in NYC by withdrawing from your scheduled remote exam with three weeks prior notice and requesting an alternate exam format and date
The content of the WSET Level 1 Spirits study guide will be part of your online study content.
Study Guide: An Introduction to spirits
How Much Does It Cost?
Registration Fee: $14
How Do I Sign Up?
- Choose a class date that works for you. You can View Dates by clicking the button to the right, or browse available dates and times by going to the Registration section.
- After choosing the date that’s best for you, complete the required Enrollment Agreement, to streamline your registration process.
- Click the Register button. (If you have not yet completed the Enrollment Agreement, you can complete it during the registration process.)