About the Course
Consumers and professionals in the drinks and hospitality industries who have a serious interest in spirits and want to expand their knowledge beyond the basics. No previous study required
What You’ll Learn:
This course delves into the history, the fundamental production methods, principal raw materials and styles of spirits of the world: brandies, whiskeys, vodkas, rums, tequilas, gin, liqueurs and other flavored spirits. You’ll also explore the key practices and principles of serving spirits and the use of spirits in cocktails and learn the proper technique for tasting spirits.
Online. A 5-week, 6-module online program with a recommendation of 6 hours of online activities and textbook study per week. You may access the content — including discussions, instructor chats, and feedback — 24/7, as often as you wish during each week, and can catch up on activities as your schedule permits. You’ll study under the guidance of one of International Wine Center’s experienced instructors, who is at your disposal for the duration of the course. You’re advised to taste a range of spirits during your studies, from a list of recommended tasting samples, and you can post your tasting notes in the Online Classroom for review by the instructor
Regular access and participation in the course online activities is essential.
Your exam will be via secure remote online proctoring on a specific day and time. You need to take your exam in a private environment of your choice using a desktop or laptop computer AND your cell phone.
Online study requires access to a computer (recommended) and/or smartphone or tablet with one of these browsers:
- Chrome 80 and 81
- Firefox 74 and 75 (Extended releases are not supported*)
- Edge 80 and 81
- Respondus Lockdown Browser (supporting the latest system requirements)
- Safari 12 and 13 (Macintosh only)
What You'll Achieve
- The ability to describe the characteristics of the principal spirits and liqueurs.
- Knowledge of the major international brands within each spirits category.
- The skills to provide guidance on the use and service of spirits and liqueurs.
- The ability to make informed recommendations to customers to meet their taste, quality and price requirements when selecting spirits and liqueurs.
- Successful candidates receive the WSET® Level 2 Award in Spirits.
At least 21 years of age
High School, College, or Post-Graduate diploma or transcript;
Letter of reference from a wine or spirits trade professional on company letterhead stating:
- That the prospective student is known to him/her personally,
- That he/she is aware of the student’s knowledge of and interest in wine; and
- That he/she believes the student is qualified to pursue structured study of wine and spirits
About the Exam
Exam Format: One-hour online exam that includes 50 multiple-choice questions.
Your exam will take place via secure remote online proctoring on a specific day and time. You need to take your exam in a private environment of your choice using a desktop or laptop computer AND your cell phone. Further details are available here.
You may reschedule your exam date with three week’s notice to email@example.com. You may schedule an in-person paper exam in NYC by withdrawing from your scheduled remote exam with three weeks prior notice and requesting an alternate exam format and date.
Study pack contents:
Textbook: Spirits – Looking Behind the Label
Laminated SAT Card
How Much Does It Cost?
Registration Fee: $25.00
Study Kit: $120.59
How Do I Sign Up?
- Choose a class date that works for you. You can View Dates by clicking the button to the right, or browse available dates and times by going to the Registration section.
- After choosing the date that’s best for you, complete the required Enrollment Agreement, to streamline your registration process.
- Click the Register button. (If you have not yet completed the Enrollment Agreement, you can complete it during the registration process).