About the Course
Who It’s For:
Wine lovers, both consumer-level and those entering the wine or hospitality trade who have limited wine knowledge.
Level 1 is optional. Those who already feel comfortable around wine may begin studying at Level 2.
What You’ll Learn:
The main styles and types of wine, the characteristics of the primary wine grape varieties, wine service and tasting technique and the legal and health issues surrounding wine and service. You’ll learn how to analyze wines and why they do or don’t pair well with the primary elements in food.
Online. A 4-week, 6-module online program with a recommendation of 1.3 hours of online activities and textbook study per week. You may access the content — including discussions, instructor chats, and feedback — 24/7, as often as you wish during each week, and can catch up on activities as your schedule permits. You’ll study under the guidance of one of International Wine Center’s experienced instructors, who is at your disposal for the duration of the course. You’re advised to taste various wines during your studies, from a list of recommended tasting samples, and you can post your tasting notes in the Online Classroom for review by the instructor.
Regular access and participation in the course online activities is essential.
Your exam will take place via secure remote online proctoring on a specific day and time. You need to take your exam in a private environment of your choice using a desktop or laptop computer AND your cell phone.
Students will require access to a computer (recommended) and/or smartphone or tablet with one of these browsers:
- Chrome 80 and 81
- Firefox 74 and 75 (Extended releases are not supported*)
- Edge 80 and 81
- Respondus Lockdown Browser (supporting the latest system requirements)
- Safari 12 and 13 (Macintosh only)
- 21 years of age
What You'll Achieve
- The ability to select and serve wines with greater confidence.
- An understanding of the main types and styles of wine available.
- Basic knowledge of proper wine storage and service.
- Understanding and experience in the core principles of food-and-wine pairing.
- An understanding of the issues relating to the safe consumption of wine.
- Successful candidates receive the WSET® Level 1 Award in Wine.
* This course is a non-occupational course. Non-occupational courses are not intended to provide instruction that will result in the student’s acquisition of occupational skills.
About the Exam
45 minute exam consisting of 30 multiple choice questions. Your exam will take place via secure remote online proctoring on a specific day and time. You need to take your exam in a private environment of your choice using a desktop or laptop computer AND your cell phone. Further details are available here.
You may reschedule your exam date with three week’s notice to email@example.com. You may schedule an in-person paper exam in NYC by withdrawing from your scheduled remote exam with three weeks prior notice and requesting an alternate exam format and date.
The WSET Level Wines study guide will be part of your online study content.
Study Guide: An Introduction to Wine
How Much Does It Cost?
Registration Fee: $14
Your online study materials are included in the price of the course.
How Do I Sign Up?
- Choose a class date that works for you. You can View Dates by clicking the button to the right, or browse available dates and times by going to the Registration section.
- After choosing the date that’s best for you, complete the required Enrollment Agreement, to streamline your registration process.
- Click the Register button. (If you have not yet completed the Enrollment Agreement, you can complete it during the registration process.)