About the Course
Who It’s For:
Anyone who is new to sake and wishes to learn about the basic types and styles — whether as a basis for professional learning or simply for enjoyment. This hands-on course will guide you through the key sake categories and production methods, using sight, smell and taste. The course is designed to introduce sake in an interactive, structured and concise manner. No prior knowledge is required.
What You’ll Learn:
- The main ingredients of sake and the basic principles of sake production
- The main categories and grades of sake, and the specialty styles
- Factors affecting the taste of sake
- How to serve sake
5 hours and 15 minutes of class time and a 45-minute exam of 30 multiple-choice questions during the last class session.
What You'll Achieve
- The ability to select and serve sake with confidence.
- An understanding of the main types and styles of sake.
- Basic knowledge of proper sake storage and service.
- The ability to recognize the four major Japanese terms on a sake label
- The ability to describe sake using the WSET Level 1 Systematic Approach to Tasting Sake
- Understanding of common faults
- Successful candidates receive the WSET® Level 1 Award in Sake.
This course is a non-occupational course. Non-occupational courses are not intended to provide instruction that will result in the student’s acquisition of occupational skills.
At least 21 years of age
About the Exam
- 30 multiple choice questions
- During your third class, 6:00-8:00pm or during the last part of an all-day, intensive-format course
Study Guide: An Introduction to Sake
How Much Does It Cost?
Registration Fee: $29.00
Study Kit: $35.38
Discounted fees are available to Teaching Assistants. These positions are limited in number and are granted at the discretion of the International Wine Center.
How Do I Sign Up?
- Choose a class date that works for you. You can View Dates by clicking the button to the right, or browse available dates and times by going to the Registration section.
- After choosing the date that’s best for you, complete the required Enrollment Agreement, to streamline your registration process.
- Click the Register button. (If you have not yet completed the Enrollment Agreement, you can complete it during the registration process.)