About the Course
Who It’s For:
This foundational course is ideal for anyone who wishes to obtain a sound introduction to spirits. It will appeal to wine lovers who wish to extend their knowledge into the realm of spirits, as well as people who work with spirits as part of a larger beverage portfolio in the retail and hospitality sectors. No previous spirits knowledge is required.
What You’ll Learn:
The main styles and categories of spirits, the defining characteristics of the main spirits types, the production processes and vessels used in making spirits, and the key principles involved in the storage and service of spirits — as well as a standardized method for tasting spirits.
Six hours of class time including a 45-minute, multiple-choice exam.
What You'll Achieve
- The ability to select and serve spirits with confidence.
- The ability to taste and describe various types of spirits.
- Knowledge about the main categories and types of spirits available, including brandy, vodka, whiskey, rum, tequila and flavored spirits.
- Knowledge of common cocktail ingredients, equipment and glassware.
- An understanding of quality factors for cocktails.
- An understanding of issues relating to the safe consumption of spirits.
- Successful candidates receive the WSET® Level 1 Award in Spirits.
* This course is a non-occupational course. Non-occupational courses are not intended to provide instruction that will result in the student’s acquisition of occupational skills.
At least 21 years of age
About the Exam
Exam Format: 45-minute, multiple-choice exam
Study Guide: An Introduction to Spirits
How Much Does It Cost?
Registration Fee: $24.00
Study Kit: $38.11
Discounted fees are available to Teaching Assistants. These positions are limited in number and are granted at the discretion of the International Wine Center.
How Do I Sign Up?
- Choose a class date that works for you. You can View Dates by clicking the button to the right, or browse available dates and times by going to the Registration section.
- After choosing the date that’s best for you, complete the required Enrollment Agreement, to streamline your registration process.
- Click the Register button. (If you have not yet completed the Enrollment Agreement, you can complete it during the registration process.)