Wine & Spirits Opportunities
Employers who seek candidates knowledgeable in wine, spirits, or both, and otherwise qualified individuals have posted the following opportunities. Each posting indicates the level of WSET knowledge appropriate for applicants.
We welcome listings from the wine and spirits industry and will post them free of charge. Please email email@example.com to share your openings.
International Wine Center is seeking a new full-time team member who can assume a pivotal, varied role in the school and its office operations.
Areas of responsibility include:
Wine Buying –
- Selecting, ordering and stocking wine, spirits and sake for service in classes.
- Includes all preparations necessary for using the wines in specific classes, such as testing the condition of the wines, producing tasting sheets for students and coordinating with instructors, as well as managing ancillary class supplies.
Class Operations –
- Managing Teaching Assistants for in-person classes, including recruiting, assigning and training the volunteers and overseeing their performance;
- Maintaining course schedules and instructor assignments;
- Ordering exams and overseeing exam handling.
General school and office operations –
- Includes managing repairs and maintenance and maintaining school and office supplies.
Online course operations –
- Includes scheduling, assigning course moderators, registering students into WSET’s online classroom, exam ordering, and oversight of Remote-Invigilation exams.
We are seeking a trustworthy, reliable individual with comprehensive wine knowledge, solid interpersonal and communication skills, who is a team-player, adaptable and flexible, able to multi-task and very organized. Prior experience in wholesale wine purchasing is helpful but not necessary. The ideal candidate will hold the WSET Level 3 Award or similar certification; be passionate about wine; and be fluent with MS Office, including Excel.
The position offers the opportunity to take WSET courses and to earn career certifications. It also offers opportunity to interact and network with people from all aspects of the wine and food industry. Benefits include a contribution to healthcare via the NYS health platform and pre-tax transit vouchers. Hours are 9:30am to 6pm.
If interested, please submit résumé and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Type: Other (Part Time)
Level of Wine Proficiency: Expert
Salary: Compensation Varies with the Level of Class Taught
WSET Instructors for Level 1 to 3.
International Wine Center is seeking instructors for its WSET courses.
- Applicants must hold the WSET Diploma in Wines and Spirits.
- Teaching experience is also desirable. Classes are mainly evenings.
- Applicants need to have a schedule that enables them to commit to specific dates.
- Send resume and cover letter, indicating your topics of special expertise.
Company: International Wine Center
Job Type: Part Time (+-2hrs/week)
Level of Wine Proficiency: All Levels
Salary: Volunteer with Discount on Course Tuition
International Wine Center is the provider of WSET courses in NYC. We offer over 50 courses a year, from Intermediate to Diploma level, that are offered in a variety of morning, evening and weekend options. Intermediate through Diploma classes require one or more Teaching Assistants to set up the classrooms, pour wines during class, and stay afterwards to clean up. Teaching Assistants must be available for every class session – no exceptions – and report at least one hour prior to class start time.
Kitchen Assistants are required to work two hours every week during their course, washing and polishing glasses and other light tasks. The schedule is somewhat flexible and need not be on the same day of class.
This is a great way to connect and be part of the ever-growing wine community that we so proudly helped to create. As compensation for your service, qualified students receive a discounted rate on their course.
Students should indicate the specific class number in which they’re interested, e.g., AC717, etc.
Selection of Teaching Assistants is at the discretion of the Operations Manager.
Job Type: Retail – Full-Time
Level of Wine Proficiency: Advanced to Expert
Salary: Commensurate with experience and performance based bonus
We are an established wine and spirits store located in Midtown East Manhattan, looking to hire a full time manager/buyer. We’re passionate about wine, spirits and customer service and looking to integrate like-minded people into our team.
During these post COVID-19 times, we have taken precautions to protect both our staff and customers which include a plexi-glass barrier at the register, face mask requirements and limiting the number of customers permitted in the store.
– Helping customers find wines and spirits and providing recommendations – We talk to almost every customer that comes through our doors
– Meeting with distributors to taste products and making thoughtful and educated purchasing decisions
– Inputting Inventory into POS system
– Cash register duties
– Processing phone and website orders
– Social media and weekly email blasts
– Write descriptions and shelf talkers for new items
– Managing and scheduling employees
You must possess at least ONE of the following:
– 3-5 years salesperson at a wine store or distributor
– 1-3 years as a manager at a wine store
– 1-3 years Sommelier experience/coursework or advanced WSET (or similar) education
– Willing to work 50 hours/week nights, weekends and holidays.
– Trustworthy, punctual, personable, and possess strong writing and communication skills
– Comfortable standing for extended periods of time
– Strong knowledge of fine wines, wine regions and spirits
– Capable of evaluating sales data and market trends to make purchasing decisions
– Experience with managing, training and scheduling employees
– Capable of multitasking between helping customers, researching wines and spirits, writing descriptions for new items etc…
– Computer literate: Comfortable with MS Excel and Word, Mac OS, Social Media (Instagram, Facebook)
– Able to lift and carry a case of wine
Please provide a copy of your resume and include in the body of the email:
– The extent of your wine and spirits knowledge
– Why you would be a good fit for this position
– Describe a wine or spirit you tasted recently that stood out and excited you
– Earliest possible start date
We offer a competitive salary, health benefits, paid vacations and employee discounts. Best of luck to everyone.
Name: Lawrence Woo
Company: Oak and Barrel
Address: 235 E 57th st, New York, NY 10022