About the Course
This course covers, at a specialist level, the major light (non-sparkling, non-fortified) wines of the world, their regions and methods of production and local trade structures and regulatory issues affecting their production. It relates these factors to the quality and style of the wines not only theoretically but also through expert tasting.
This course has 66 instructional hours including six-plus hours of exams. WSET recommends at least 170 hours of additional, independent study time for this course.
The exam takes place over two days; it involves two one-hour blind wine-tastings of six wines each and two closed-book written exams requiring short-response answers.
International Wine Center offers the D3 course once per year, beginning in late Spring. Classes occur over three blocks of approximately eight-weeks each in the Spring, Fall and the following winter. Exams for Unit 3 occur once in May and, if there is sufficient demand, once in October.
WSET requires that students have studied Level 4, Wine Business before registering for this Unit.
- At least 21 years of age AND
- A passing grade in the course WSET® Level 4, Wine Production, D1
- WSET requires that students have studied Level 4, Wine Business before registering for this Unit.
About the Exam
Exam Format: Exams take place over two days.
Day 1: Two written open-response exams. First exam to be completed in 120 minutes, second exam to be completed in 80 minutes.
Day 2: Two blind tasting exams of six wines, 90 minutes each
Online Study Guide:
WSET Level 4, Wines of the World, D3 (33 chapters, 400 pages)
How Much Does It Cost?
Registration Fee: $100.00
Discounted fees are available to Teaching Assistants. These positions are limited in number and are granted at the discretion of the International Wine Center.
How Do I Sign Up?
- Choose a class date that works for you. You can View Dates by clicking the button to the right, or browse available dates and times by going to the Registration section.
- After choosing the date that’s best for you, complete the required Enrollment Agreement, to streamline your registration process.
- Click the Register button. (If you have not yet completed the Enrollment Agreement, you can complete it during the registration process.)