About the Course
This course covers, at a specialist level, the major types and styles of fortified wines, along with their regions and methods of production. It examines the key factors affecting the style, quality and commercial value of fortified wines, the trade and legal structures in the regions of production and the local and global markets for fortified wines. Students use the WSET Level 4 Systematic Approach to Tasting Wine® to analyze the characteristics of the principal fortified wines of the world.
Fortified Wines of the World, D5 has 14 instructional hours including a 90-minute exam. WSET recommends at least 16 hours of additional, independent study time for this course.
The examination consists of a written open response exam and a blind tasting of three fortified wines.
- At least 21 years of age AND
- A passing grade in the course, WSET® Level 4 Wine Production, D1
- WSET requires that students have studied Level 4, Wine Business before registering for this Unit.
About the Exam
Exam Format: A 90-minute exam that consists of a written open response exam and a blind tasting of three fortified wines.
Online Study Guide: Fortified Wines, D5 (50 pages)
How Much Does It Cost?
Registration Fee: $53
Discounted fees are available to Teaching Assistants. These positions are limited in number and are granted at the discretion of the International Wine Center.
How Do I Sign Up?
- Choose a class date that works for you. You can View Dates by clicking the button to the right, or browse available dates and times by going to the Registration section.
- After choosing the date that’s best for you, complete the required Enrollment Agreement, to streamline your registration process.
- Click the Register button. (If you have not yet completed the Enrollment Agreement, you can complete it during the registration process.)