About the Course
This course covers, at a specialist level, the anatomy and growing cycle of the vine, influencing factors relating to the growing of wine grapes around the world, as well as the options, determining factors and processes for converting grapes into wines of various styles and quality levels and at different price points.
Upon completion, students will be able to demonstrate in-depth knowledge and understanding of the factors that influence the production of wine, the processes used in production and how processes and options throughout production can affect the style, quality and commercial value of wine.
The Level 4 WSET Wine Production, D1 Course is a 21-hour course with 19.5 instructional hours and a 90-minute examination, which is a written open-response format. WSET recommends 80 hours of additional independent study time for this course.
It is required that students wishing to take any Level 4 WSET course in Wines & Spirits enroll in Wine Production, D1 as their initial Level 4 program, and pass the exam.
- At least 21 years of age AND
- A passing grade in the WSET Level 3 Wines Course (or the WSET Level 3 Advanced Course)
About the Exam
Exam Format: A 90-minute written exam featuring open-response questions.
Study Guide: Wine Production, D1 online Study Guide (200+ pages)
Recommended: The book Vines and Vinification by Sally Easton MW is an additional, optional reference available separately for purchase from IWC for $44.73. This book is published by WSET with the intention of supporting Diploma students.
How Much Does It Cost?
Registration Fee: $68.00
Study Kit: $303.90
Discounted fees are available to Teaching Assistants. These positions are limited in number and are granted at the discretion of International Wine Center.
How Do I Sign Up?
- Choose a class date that works for you. You can View Dates by clicking the button to the right, or browse available dates and times by going to the Registration section.
- After choosing the date that’s best for you, complete the required Enrollment Agreement, to streamline your registration process.
- Click the Register button. (If you have not yet completed the Enrollment Agreement, you can complete it during the registration process.) Please be sure to sign the Enrollment Agreement three times on page 2.